“Ann's Cottage” - History
Hill Yard cottage is one of those places that has, “Welcome, come and
visit me”, written all over it, but has changed little in its outward
appearance since it was built in the eighteenth century.
In those days, it formed part of a community of farms and smallholdings down
the lane from the road known as Daleside East. At the top of the lane was a
well stocked shop which served not only the immediate community, but supplied
the miners' dwellings right across the whole of Rosedale Eastside. Even in the
1930s it had a staff of 5, but alas is now no more.
The lane itself consisted of farms and smallholdings, with Hill Farm on the
left, Craven Garth at the bottom, and Hill Yard Cottage, originally a farm on
the right. As with many of “Lord of the Manor” estates, this area
was no different, Rosedale East being part of the Milburn Estates. In 1947,
most of the estate was divided and sold off, Hill Yard cottage being one of
In the 1980's the buildings on the left of the lane were demolished, just
leaving Hill Farm as being original. Craven Garth farm being very much as it
was today at the lane bottom, although the farm house has been altered. Its
farm buildings have been updated, but as with Hill farm, everything can be
clearly seen in photographs of the time.
Hill Yard Cottage comprised of the main cottage, with a byre and smithy
attached, with doors that led to the lane for access. Alongside was an
outbuilding, now converted into “Ann's Cottage” The inside of Hill
Yard cottage has seen the introduction of mains electricity in the 1950's which
oddly enough came after the telephone reached this part of Rosedale Valley. Oil
lamps look quite romantic these days during an evening at dinner, but when they
were the only source of light, could be quite a task to maintain.
The present owners, Ann and Colin, have transformed not only the Cottage into a
high quality home that anyone would be proud of, but care about the people that
not only visit them, but stay in “Ann's Cottage”and “The Old
|“Hill Yard Cottage” - 2006|